• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Coyote Swap

Mase Cooper

I am starting my swap with an F-150 Coyote. So far, I have the engine, a TR-3650 (T-56 Upgrade later), majority of my swap parts and I have the the 94/95 Front Spindles, Steeda Ball Joints, the 2002 Dual Piston PBR's (!3" Upgrade later), 1998 GT Rear end 3:73's, with ebrake, trying to figure out this whole steering shaft and steering rack upgrade issue, and looking for a bell housing....

Does the 96-2004 Steering shaft work on this conversion?
Does the 2003/4 Cobra steering rack work and is i power assist?
Is the PBH front accessory kit going to impact my sway bar use?
Anyone have the technical article on the swap bar spacing and getting everything to work, I hear a million tiny pieces of information, need one good detailed link.
Has anyone else used a 96-98 k-member instead of the tubular, I saw Sean Hyland use the regular fox one and notch the member and I hear of others using the 96-98, haven't heard any real details yet.

Lastly, does anyone know of a nice custom steering wheel that has the cruise control settings in it? I love the 94/95 Steering wheel and the early ones fit but there is about a two inch difference pushing the steering wheel towards the driver. The simple solution is to put a 90 or better column in and use the steering wheel, but I am stubborn and want tilt. Since I am not going crazy in some other areas, I wouldn't mind spending to have the column issue addressed by a custom steering column shop as that 94'95 wheel looks nice...

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ring-wheel-into-87-89-fox.763027/#post7692191

P.S. I need some pedals from a 96-98 if any one has any.....

Attachments

• asc1render.jpg
    asc1render.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 55
  • asc2render.jpg
    asc2render.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 54
  • asc3render.jpg
    asc3render.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 63
  • mustangwheelcomparison.jpeg
    mustangwheelcomparison.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 51

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I don't think you are likely to find a single-link how-to on this build. There just too many options for that. I would recommend you start a Word document where you cut and past information every time you find a piece that fits your build plan. Mine is more old school (paper in a binder), but there are several ways to do each thing. For example, the factory k-member from 96-04 GT/Cobra will work on your build. They all have to have the same modification. There are some really good pictures on one of the builds on this site. Do your 94/95 spindles have the control arms attached? If so, you can use the 94/04 steering rack (all are power assist unless you find an FRPP or aftermarket unit). The connecting shaft to your fox steering column will have to be modified, unless you are doing the interior upgrade at the same time. You can also use the Fox rack and change the tie rods and shafts to give you the proper track width for the 94/95 control arms. That 98 rear end will bolt right in, with some minor work required for the e-brake. Your steering wheel problem is another issue complete. It is possible to install the SN-95 steering column under the fox dash. You might consider that. It requires a bit of trim work to make it look factory, but can be done. If you are not planning to change to the newer interior, why are planning to change the pedals?

Mase Cooper

Hi Bill, thanks for the info. I was planning to do the floor and interior, but the shops up here are not giving me the numbers I am comfortable with. I did some looking around and figuring and saw a few other ideas that I could work with and save a ton of money. I am on the West Coast and there are a few good guys out here as far as builders, but there are also a lot of shops that CHARGE an extra premium when they see you building a one off. While I do not mind paying, I refuse to be taken just for having a unique idea. That said, I think a few interior tricks may satisfy my need for creativity and change. I think the steering wheel/column, some updated power and heated seats, a possible Dakota Dash or the aftermarket Scott Drake dash lighting, and a nice custom leather shifter and matching steering wheel...just don't want it to look horribly dated inside. I had my mind set on the newer interior, but I have to be flexible as well because I do not want the project to be infinity and not complete...

On the front end, can I use the fox control arms with the sn95 k-member or am I missing something technical here...my sn95 spindles just have the late model PBR Calipers on them....

Are sn95 column's tilt? Would I be able to use the steering shaft as well?

P.S. I have a composition book with part numbers, hand written notes, and print outs from the word document you spoke of... :)

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You can use the fox control arms and steering rack. If you do, the fox steering column will still bolt right up as stock. The New Edge control arms increase your natural track width, but also improve your steering geometry. If you are planning autocross or open track, I would go with the later SN-95 stuff. If you are planning street/cruise driving, the fox control arms are fine. There are several custom gauge panel manufacturers out there. Dakota Digital is a good choice, but not the only choice for about the same money. Is your floor pan rusted out or damaged? I don't know that I've ever been in an SN-95 that wasn't tilt column, but I don't know for sure.

whiteponygt

Pretty sure all and are tilt I had the sn column with the Fox dash it was a pita to get it to fit then it just looked out of place. Also the key release will be behind your black fix gauge cover. The sn a arms are wider I had issues with rubbing in the front so I switched back to Fox control arms but put the sn ball joints in.Will have to say a Lil jealous of the heated seats.also the 98 rear is a Lil bit wider which if you ever plan to run a wide tire on the back ,spacing may be an issue.but then again it all depends if your dd drag or auto crossing. I'm going to put the sn breaks on my Fox rear and just run it no abs in the rear but thou can't have it all.

jaa55

You can message me if you have specific questions....I built this one a few years back

b2fa2ffbaf48c95848a7a6a9b3c645fd.jpg

0d32c8c9e237ae5f9ac3b417edac6e42.jpg

3cab9302a09945d32ea4edff34625a4b.jpg

5745bc6df6c736f6bf96c9aa213c407a.jpg

3a45a5320502c65b303a75d842519686.jpg

78bf529d004c095d3ea35a1a611d64f3.jpg

d0de4c7cff7ecad6f2bd5735c972ffab.jpg

7e1eb900342ac917bdc42469750c2148.jpg

9cdf72af2d33c7365ef18638b5899f33.jpg

egbertnr

There is a coyote swap facebook group I'd recommend looking into. I've been collecting info for almost a year while I've started doing things. Already changed out to hydroboost. Not a terrible job.

whiteponygt

I've been wanting to do this swap in a coupe i have but price is a big killer for me,is this a budget build or all out if so.using a f150 can the swap be done for less then 8000?I've seen others that have 15000 in a 5.0 swap.that's just to rich for my blood.

Mase Cooper

I've been wanting to do this swap in a coupe i have but price is a big killer for me,is this a budget build or all out if so.using a f150 can the swap be done for less then 8000?I've seen others that have 15000 in a 5.0 swap.that's just to rich for my blood.
I think you can get everything for less than 5k. I scored a really good deal on my engine, but all my other parts have been reasonable as well...

whiteponygt

5000 seem really cheap. I figured motor trans control pack and k member would blow that out the water.that's not as bad I thought it would be.

Mase Cooper

Google Sean Hyland Coyote Swap...you can do a few things to save budget...you should also get some monwy for your old drive train...it will take a little effort on your behalf, but you don't have to blow the $1200 or so on k-member and headers

whiteponygt

Didn't notice the steering wheel on my first fly by but now I'm curious myself. did you use the stock fox column.

jaa55

Yes it the fox column I can't remember what clock spring I used.
It was a f500, wish I would have kept it when I sold the car

hey jaa55 what did u do to make the factory dash and new engine harness work. I'm debating keeping my factory dash or swapping it to sn95

jaa55

I actually used the fox column and bolted the sn95 wheel and turn signal switch to it. I used the sn95 dash harness and changed what pigtails I needed to. Using the newer sn95 harness will be a little different because only a couple of the gauges are going to be analog. Most of it is canbus