• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Foxbody 4.6 Dohc Swap

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Well a buddy of mine had a car setup like this, so i kinda cheated and used his to make a replica, but its not that hard to do. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the valve cover, because my friend used the upper cam instead of the lower like i did so i was flying blind on it. Just alot of micrometer work and some machine work. I could get you the dimensions on the dizzy as far as lenght and stuff, but as far as drilling the hole in the valve cover i just measured the center of the cam bolt down to the top of the timming cover and got the width measured and drilled a small hole to start to make sure i was even on the same track, after that i just gradually got bigger bits until i was close enough to finish it by hand sanding. The hole in the cover is really the hardest thing, I had to sets of valve covers just incase i screwed one set up lol, if you decide to do it like this it saves alot of money, im using 5.0 harness and computer also.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Well a buddy of mine had a car setup like this, so i kinda cheated and used his to make a replica, but its not that hard to do. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the valve cover, because my friend used the upper cam instead of the lower like i did so i was flying blind on it. Just alot of micrometer work and some machine work. I could get you the dimensions on the dizzy as far as lenght and stuff, but as far as drilling the hole in the valve cover i just measured the center of the cam bolt down to the top of the timming cover and got the width measured and drilled a small hole to start to make sure i was even on the same track, after that i just gradually got bigger bits until i was close enough to finish it by hand sanding. The hole in the cover is really the hardest thing, I had to sets of valve covers just incase i screwed one set up lol, if you decide to do it like this it saves alot of money, im using 5.0 harness and computer also.

Thanks for the tips! How did you attach the distributor to the cam gear to make the distributor rotate?

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
You have to cut the shaft down and it takes a 18mm socket. The socket end that attaches to the racket has to be milled out the the shaft diameter. Then I cross drilled it and pinned it with the pin that holds the original gear. I will get ya some good pics Saturday so you can really get a idea on how I did it. If your like me I do better with visual rather than reading instructions lol. Also the dizzy will rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

Svt Fox

Staff member
You have to cut the shaft down and it takes a 18mm socket. The socket end that attaches to the racket has to be milled out the the shaft diameter. Then I cross drilled it and pinned it with the pin that holds the original gear. I will get ya some good pics Saturday so you can really get a idea on how I did it. If your like me I do better with visual rather than reading instructions lol. Also the dizzy will rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

Pics would help! I appreciate it a lot! Thanks!!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Those carb intake for DOHC is big money. I plan on having about 3500 total cost in my car from start to finish. That includes buying the car lol.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Well got my crossmember done and rattle bombed looks like it will work to me, fits good. Also Svt Fox here are some of the pics you wanted to see, enjoy
C3EBF65F-orig.jpg
6E373DD6-orig.jpg
CBED9D0D-orig.jpg

here is my homemade dizzy
1B5C993F-orig.jpg
CC2A2851-orig.jpg
C07586AE-orig.jpg
D41A6B2F-orig.jpg
383B91A4-orig.jpg
F7AD530F-orig.jpg

Svt Fox

Staff member
Well got my crossmember done and rattle bombed looks like it will work to me, fits good. Also Svt Fox here are some of the pics you wanted to see, enjoy
C3EBF65F-orig.jpg

6E373DD6-orig.jpg

CBED9D0D-orig.jpg

here is my homemade dizzy
1B5C993F-orig.jpg

CC2A2851-orig.jpg

C07586AE-orig.jpg

D41A6B2F-orig.jpg

383B91A4-orig.jpg

F7AD530F-orig.jpg

Pretty slick!!! Thanks for the pics!

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Do you have the socket pressed into some sort of bearing for support?
Nope its was machined matched to the shaft just like the origanal gear was and pinned in place. I think the actual shaft rides in a bearing inside the housing not sure though lol. It has zero i mean zero play in it, should hold up good my buddies its exactly like mine been running it like that for years.

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Got the tranny mounted up and finished today had to make a one inch spacer out of aluminium works great, also got my fender emblems finished up to. The decal is called a cobra star, on mirrored stainless.

5B645651-orig.jpg

8098383F-orig.jpg

A0C2E93B-orig.jpg

ponyboy89lx

Staff member
Got my filter box in and my sway bar and driveshaft in today. Everything went in easy and fast. had to shorten my air tube from the lincoln gonna be on the look out for a 99 up cobra tube.
9CDF7502-orig.jpg

60393E81-orig.jpg

4AF257C8-orig.jpg