• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A little input guys

im doing a mod swap in my 86 gt I have a running donor 97 mark VII and two 97 gt running donors also access to a 99-04 engine/trains. I can't decide which would be a the better swap. I have a complete harness w/computer for 99-04 and would like to use it. Which would be the best option "easier" "cost effective"

cpearson1342

Usually the dohc motors are quite a bit faster than the gt's, that's why I decided to go with a 2003 mach 1 engine. The mark 8 engines or 96-98 cobra engines are close to the same as the mach. Either way they will be about the same difficulty, but you need to make sure you have a hydroboost set up you have access to. As for the wiring you can just take out what you don't need and a lot of it depends on which harnesses you will be using.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
im doing a mod swap in my 86 gt I have a running donor 97 mark VII and two 97 gt running donors also access to a 99-04 engine/trains. I can't decide which would be a the better swap. I have a complete harness w/computer for 99-04 and would like to use it. Which would be the best option "easier" "cost effective"
It sounds like you have some really great options. I guess to answer the question, we need a bit more information. What do you want the car to do/what do you want to do with the car? Do you want an automatic or standard transmission? What is your skill set? This is a great time to cash a reality check. Without more information, I would say to use the donor car that is most like what you want your fox to be. Are you doing the interior? ABS? If you have a complete running and driving 97, that would have virtually every part you would need to do the entire swap. So, from a cost effective view, and maybe from the "easier" point of view, I would personally go with a complete donor SN95 (97 GT).

Well Bill, I'm just trying to get opinions on going with the 4v vs 2v. My skill set is no issue, I just need wiring info and want to figure out my route. I have many donor cars, so parts are no problem either. I will keep the car manual it's already got sn suspension, just want to do a "retro" gt. It is not a race car, but I don't want just a little more hp than a 302 with all the time and work invested. So it's between the 99-04 4.6 and the mark 8 swap. I have a 2000-04 manual computer and harness already to use, also the mark 8 swap. I want to keep the car wiring (Dash, lights etc.) as stock as possible too. I hope that clarified a bit more. Thanks for responding guys.

cpearson1342

That helps a bit more. I would definitely go with the dohc if you have the option. The later gt's barely have any more hp than the 302's and you could easily mod the 302 to match. The wiring isn't a problem and it's pretty easy to keep the majority of the fox wiring, which is what I did. The only wiring you will need to remove is the old engine and computer harness. If you've already got the later suspension done then you are ahead of the game, but will need to take it out to convert the k-member to a later year or tubular depending on how much money you'll be spending. As for wiring I know Bill and I will be able to help you with anything you need, especially since you and I have the same year. In my opinion the biggest obstacles you will overcome are the wiring and just overall mounting of everything you need to change over. And if you have a/c you will need to do a few mods.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Agreed. The DOHC Lincoln motor doesn't make huge hp, but is a nice install. The K-member off of one of the 97s will work if you don't want to buy one. You can mod the fox K, but I have found it to be much easier to use the right one from the start. You'll find a ton of wiring stuff on here, as it is the part that scares most builders. I tend to use the complete harness, but there are lots of ways to do it. Once you have done the swap the first time, you'll be a lot more comfortable with the harness. The retro GT look will be nice. People always mistake them for 225 hp 302 until they are seeing your tail lights.

Speedtospare

Usually the dohc motors are quite a bit faster than the gt's, that's why I decided to go with a 2003 mach 1 engine. The mark 8 engines or 96-98 cobra engines are close to the same as the mach. Either way they will be about the same difficulty, but you need to make sure you have a hydroboost set up you have access to. As for the wiring you can just take out what you don't need and a lot of it depends on which harnesses you will be using.

Mach 1/ Aviator motor swap with an eaton swap is the best budget setup around in 4V land

Thanks I need buying an 01 donor car. Now I need wiring schematics to get this thing going. Any help?

Thanks in advance
That helps a bit more. I would definitely go with the dohc if you have the option. The later gt's barely have any more hp than the 302's and you could easily mod the 302 to match. The wiring isn't a problem and it's pretty easy to keep the majority of the fox wiring, which is what I did. The only wiring you will need to remove is the old engine and computer harness. If you've already got the later suspension done then you are ahead of the game, but will need to take it out to convert the k-member to a later year or tubular depending on how much money you'll be spending. As for wiring I know Bill and I will be able to help you with anything you need, especially since you and I have the same year. In my opinion the biggest obstacles you will overcome are the wiring and just overall mounting of everything you need to change over. And if you have a/c you will need to do a few mods.

Thanks a lot, do you have the wiring schematics for me to keep 86 dash harness?

cpearson1342

The dash harness is a little difficult, I can find them for the instrument cluster definitely, but not sure about the whole dash

Chaos885.oh2mod

88 Mustang LX convertible 5.0
Either one would be a cool swap. I decided to use a DOHC for my swap. I'm using a 96 gt computer and wiring. I am using the 5 lugs, rear disc brakes, and anti lock brakes from the 96 on my 88 convertible. It sounds like my goals are similar to yours as far as keeping the wiring and things close to stock. I figure I can upgrade to the c heads later, and a blower later. I have my 88 ready for the 4.6. I just need to finish cleaning the ports and valves and lapping them so I can put the engine back together and into my car. Good luck with your swap!