• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

my 89 4v build thread

bigjohnsondohc

Heres a little background information first, I had a 97 gt then upgraded to a 03 mach 1 and then I received the terminator bug. I had one lined up and then it fell through and I ended up purchasing this 1989 LX original 5.0 car with minimal rust for $1200 and it ran. It originally idled perfectly and shifted fine when I purchased it, just had no interior (all pieces were boxed up). As soon as it was loaded onto the trailor and brought to the garage, it wouldnt start and then a snowball of problems emerged. It hasnt ran since the first day I bought it and although the 5.0's are reliable and have lots of aftermarket parts, modular 4v's are what I love and know the most about. So I decided to make the car exactly how I want it.

First off I was given all red interior panels and brand new black carpet with the car. All the panels were dyed the charcoal color from ford. I installed the carpet, ordered corbeau LG1 seats, new door panels, headliner, sun visors, wired a complete audio system with amp and touchscreen and I had also used 3m sound deadener on the floors.

Next up was rust proofing underneath the car. So I bought a primer and a flat black coating (always forget the company) but its more flexible then por paint. I sanded and wire wheeled the entire under carriage then primed and painted it.

Next was the body on it. I love the look of the LX style so all I really did was purchase a 93 cobra spoiler. The previous owner had self tappers and grade 8 bolts holding bumpers and fenders together, so I bought a new front bumper, new front fenders, a 3" cowl hood and a used rear bumper for it.
I like my cars low with good ride quality so next was the suspension. I went with eibach sportline lowering springs, steeda x2 ball joints, mm subframe connectors, mm rear lca's, tokiko shocks and struts, sn95 brake swap, cross drilled and slotted rotors from rotor pros and found a great deal on 18x9/10 black chrome saleen rims. Because I was doing everything I wanted with the suspension, I decided to do the same with the rear axle. I went with a sn95 rear axle, 31 spline axles, 31 spline frpp differential, frpp 3:73 gears, mm bushing kit and an aftermarket diff cover as well.

This is pretty much how it sits now.

bigjohnsondohc

About 4 months ago, I decided to go with a mark viii 4v motor and wanted the 97-98. A trip to the junkyard yielded me a 97 mark viii motor for $420 out the door.

I then purchased an upper/lower intake manifold from a 97 cobra and I used vht wrinkle paint for that, the timing cover, valve covers, coil covers and some accessory brackets as well.

Most recently, I bought bassani mid length headers with an offroad x pipe and this is where I am at right now. My plans is to do imrc deletes, ron francis wiring kit, t45, tubular k member and then get to paint, the color will be a darker red color. This thread will be updated right along and I hope to get a good pile of parts over the winter. Anyways, thanks for looking.
-Corey

bigjohnsondohc

Not much been going on. I purchased a t45 from a cobra, installed a cobra oil pan, new frpp oil pump, pickup tube and also a dipstick tube (the original one was snapped and the only place to buy a decently priced one was latemodel restoration). After this, I prepped the bassani headers and then primed and painted them. I also purchased those locking manifold studs. Next Im going to do a spec clutch and flywheel. This week I have idler pulley, new tensioner, and some sensors coming in the mail.

bigjohnsondohc

I had all the external engine torqued down including the intake manifold, IMRC deletes, coolant pipe and all the accessories. Before torquing the dampener down, the entire motor was spinning freely with no sounds. Then I torqued it down to proper spec and it sounded like the timing chain was binding, so now I have to take everything off to see whats going on. But the motor did look pretty good when everything was on properly.

George Rose

Very interested in this build Im in the process of collecting parts. What k member are you using. as well as your brake setup... Hydraboost??

bigjohnsondohc

I havent decided on what k member I will be using. Id like a mm setup but I will most likely go with UPR and the brake setup will be getting swapped for a hydroboost setup soon. Going to be pulling the 302 and tranny out within the week

ModFoxMustangs

Staff member
I had all the external engine torqued down including the intake manifold, IMRC deletes, coolant pipe and all the accessories. Before torquing the dampener down, the entire motor was spinning freely with no sounds. Then I torqued it down to proper spec and it sounded like the timing chain was binding, so now I have to take everything off to see whats going on. But the motor did look pretty good when everything was on properly.
Nice looking valve cover plate..

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The factory k-member is a nice install and easily upgraded later. Suspensions choice depend a lot on what you want to do with the car on regular basis.

bigjohnsondohc

is there modifications needed to run a 4.6 factory k member in a foxbody? I actually prefer the springs I have in the car now, then having to go with a coil over setup. This is going to sound stupid, but I actually didnt even think of running a 4.6 stock k member

Speedtospare

Yes you can use any 2V or 4v 96-04 k-member. It required elongating some bolt holes and trimming about 3/8" of metal.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
He's right, the k-member is really easy to modify. You'll have to shorten the lower rear tabs. Do a test fit with it, and you'll see exactly where to cut. When you're ready to do a tubular, AJE, one of the site sponsors, makes a really nice set of lower control arms that allow you to use the factory configuration springs and struts. I also prefer the factory setup, particularly for the street.