• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T45 in fox

what mods do i need to do.

• Total voters

Bryan454

I was wondering if anyone knows what i need to do to make the t45 bolt in. I have the original trans bracket for the t5.

you will need the T45 crossmember and insulator and sn95 brackets to weld to the fox chassis as the T45 is longer than the T5. I bought a kit from MPS auto salvage that bolt to the fox chassis !!

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Or you can just buy a crossmember designed for a T45-into-Fox conversion...no welding, no cutting, just bolt it in.

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
or go 2 the wrecking yard and get a cross member with mounts and just drill holes in the frame rails from a 96 to 98 i think

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If you choose the salvage option, be sure you have some way to measure the pinion angle. Also remember that you will be putting a lot of torque through that crossmember. It needs to be tied into something pretty sturdy. Another option is to get an additional set of Fox brackets and weld them in the correct location to use the double hump Fox crossmember. There are lots of options that are all good, but I can not stress enough the value of getting the output angle of the transmission done correctly. If you don't get it right (off by 1/4"), it will act like little men with hammers on the inside of your tranny and diff.

myers407

Staff member
The nice thing about using the SN brakets and welding them to the Fox floor pan is the pans are the same. Bolt the mounts to the transmission loosly and jack it up into place. The mounts will line up on the pans correctly and sit nice and tight on the contours of the pan.

87_notchfox

justr another notch among the rest...
Donator
but u might have to cut off the stock t-5 trans mounts to clear the h-pipe...well i had to for mine

Svt Fox

Staff member
You can use a stock T-5 crossmember and the stock t-5 brackets. You just have to modify the crossmember a little bit. Look at my swap thread and you'll see what I am talking about.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The nice thing about using the SN brakets and welding them to the Fox floor pan is the pans are the same. Bolt the mounts to the transmission loosly and jack it up into place. The mounts will line up on the pans correctly and sit nice and tight on the contours of the pan.
Agreed. This is the route I'm using on mine. I have a lot of Stiffler parts on the car. I have the subframe connectors, jacking rails and slide to fit system. I chose not to do the tranny crossmember because my stock fox mounts are in really bad shape. the floor pan is cracked where they weld up, so they have to go.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Why not save the all the trouble of cutting and welding mounts when you can get a quality tubular cross member for $145. Best money spent on the entire swap if you ask me. It's direct bolt in. Time saved can be spent elsewhere
http://buystifflers.com/1982-1993MustangTransmissionCrossmemberT45andT56Tremec.aspx

The stock fox body crossmember mounts interfere with long tubes.

In order to execute this correctly, you should remove the fox mounts and replace them with SN-95 mounts, in the correct location.

To answer your question. Not everyone has $150 to drop on a crossmember but maybe they have access to a welder. :)

Bill

Staff member
Donator
For me, the headers would clear, but I have an entire parts car and welder, so I choose to use the sn-95. I may still decide to go with a tube cross member, but will use the stock one to get the pinion angle and mounts in the correct location.

I used the cross member and frame brackets from the 96 donor car on mine.I did run into a problem though,my car has welded on frame connectors so I had to cut the brackets in half and weld them on the car.I also had to cut the old cross member brackets off to clear my long tubes.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
There are lots of links to be found on the search engine of your choice about setting the pinion angle. Here is a basic on that might help: http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/pinionangle.htm
All of the big box stores will sell you a pinion angle gauge. Some may have one to loan you. A decent one is under $75, so don't get crazy with the fancy Snap-on unit. It does the same thing as the cheap ones. Most of the gauges will come with instruction. If you still have the stock rear suspension, all you need to do is figure the tranny output shaft angle to match the factory geometry of your bird. You can adjust it by shimming the mount up or grinding it down. It shouldn't take much. What did you use to mount the tranny?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
There are a handful of options for cross members. You can modify the factory t-bird unit, buy a Stifflers unit designed for the swap, or get a cross member and brackets out of an SN95 chassis. You may want to decide what exhaust you will run before making that tranny cross member decision. If you use long tubes, you will have to eliminate the fox brackets. If not, you can route around them.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The stock SN95 unit will work well. The how depends on a couple of other things. Some subframe connectors interfere with the factory SN95 mounting brackets. If that happens, you will have to make room for them. If not, they will mount easily against the floor pan.