• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

86 t top build thread

coryjones

Not much to update more or less been working a lot to pay for this and waiting on my pistons to be made.

coryjones

So i was looking at the cobra upper intake and just really didn't like the egr tube and all the crap on it so i decided to do something about it.

97b8a768-f0df-48ff-9e9e-193aa7db6033_zps898b780d.jpg

20131010_101430_zpsc7a39b15.jpg

20131010_104530_zpsb698a4b1.jpg

I am haveing the holes welded up then finish smoothing it then paint or polish. Here is a little teaser of my stock valve covers polished up.

ResizedImage951381436597241_zps175a8c4d.jpg

coryjones

Going to start ordering fuel stuff what is the differences in the tanks? I have a 86 tank what year should i upgrade to?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Are you running a fuel return system or a returnless? Are you looking for more capacity like the Thunderbird/Mark VII tanks?

coryjones

I do plan to run a return system and was unaware of larger capacity tanks. Right now my whole trunk floor is cut out so i can do what ever i want. The plan was to put the battery air compressor and tank in the floor and raise the stock tank while i was at it but if i can go to a larger tank y not. I thought about doing fuel cell but could not find one with the size i was looking for or the price. I also have a Glenn's performance tank cover i was going to use or at least use to had what ever tank.

http://www.glennsperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=149

20130829_130333_zps0f72d37f.jpg

coryjones

Ya i seen the Glenn's $600.00 tanks and not to impressed. What don't make any sense to me is why the 86 tank is around $100 and the 2000 tank is $200 what is so different on them? I don't mind spending $200-$300 on good tank i just don't see the point in spending $600 on one. I think i may look in to having one built this week. I can build one out of steel i thought about doing this and getting that gas tank coating and powder coating the out side anyone ever tried this?

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I don't recommend building your own. They have to be certified for any tech inspection. If someone rearends you and it blows, the liability just isn't worth it. You can buy a tank and modify the holes to accept whatever fuel system you plan to use. I have always used my donor car tanks, but an considering a modified T-bird tank for my vert, since it is a cruise car mostly.

coryjones

There wont be any tech inspections as far as liability not sure what you mean. No updates on the intake yet he was going to take his time sense i don't need it right now.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
the liability I spoke of is this: If you get in an accident, no matter who is at fault, if the tank ruptures and causes a fire, you will be personally liable for everything. I have seen drag racers loose much more than there car. On the other hand, a factory tank, modified by a shop that is licensed, bonded and insured, takes all liability off of you. I don't pay someone to do much of my work on my toys, as I prefer to do it myself. Most mods on a car only affect the owner relative to the limits of their liability insurance. Fuel tanks are not in that category.

coryjones

I don't see how that would be any different then if say you were to put a topper on your truck and you were driving down the road and it came off and killed someone. your insurance would cover that. i am not to worried about it probably going to use a stock 03 tank anyway.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The fuel tank issue is based on case law dealing with the 1971/72 Pinto. I can't answer about the topper concept.

roachedone

Donator
Intake is beautiful.... As far as the tank conversation goes, i think each state is a little different.. I'm personally running a fuel cell in the 93, we ran a fuel tank from a 2004 in the 86..