• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

98 Gt pan on a Navigator motor. Rod end hits baffle

boboli

I was working on changing the timing chain guides on my navigator motor. I had already installed the 98 gt pan and as i was turning the motor, it seized. I was very alarmed by this, but I already had the timing cover off and happened to look into the oil pan and noticed that one of the rod ends ( probably 5 or 6) was hitting the wave shaped baffles in the front of the oil pan. I removed the pan and the motor turned over freely.
Does the mustang 4.6 oil pan need to be modified to fit a 5.4? I thought they were all the same down low. I have no problem modifying the pan to clearance the rod, just wondering if I have another problem.
I tried searching, but I keep getting an error message
thanks

boboli

after doing a little searching on the internet, this seems to be normal. The post recommended just pounding them down until they cleared. I thought about taking the time to notch the area, but decided to take the quicker approach and pounded them down. I doubt they will work like they are intended, since they are curled almost all the way over. The motor does turn 360*, so I'm happy that the problem is solved.