• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A few questions on the harnesses needed for swap.

EvinH

Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice on my swap and getting the electrical side wired up.
I have a 93 that I've taken down to the shell and now that I have all the wiring visible, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, naturally since I've never done this and there's a ton of connectors that you don't realize are there at first. So I want to try and break it up into groups of problems to solve first and then try and look at the big picture again. As of now, I've collected a semi-hacked 2003 Mach 1 ECU and underhood/fusebox harnesses, a 99-04 starter/trans harness and a 99/01 injector harness. Do I need the dash harness from a modular car or is it only needed if I want to use the modular gauge cluster? I would like to keep the Fox cluster and since I will be running a TR-3650 for a trans, I'll probably need something like the Cable X to convert the VSS signal to a mechanical one correct? If I decide to go with an aftermarket stand-alone PCM and aftermarket gauge cluster, will I still need any of the factory modular harnesses?

FuturaGuy

Staff member
You've got to use the injector harness and the starter harness. Whether you use all or part of the ECU harness depends on how much of the original Fox wiring you keep. Again, depending on how much of the Fox wiring you keep, you might be able to skip the fuse box harness. You're right about needing some sort of a converter on the transmission, one that will give you both a VSS signal to the ECU and allow you to connect a mechanical speedometer cable.

EvinH

You've got to use the injector harness and the starter harness. Whether you use all or part of the ECU harness depends on how much of the original Fox wiring you keep. Again, depending on how much of the Fox wiring you keep, you might be able to skip the fuse box harness. You're right about needing some sort of a converter on the transmission, one that will give you both a VSS signal to the ECU and allow you to connect a mechanical speedometer cable.
Thanks Rock! And I just realized you answered all these questions in a PM. *SMH* Sent you a PM with the other questions I had. Thanks for chiming in!