• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Here

vettn71

Hey, y'all. I just stumbled onto this site. Looks like what I need. I have a 96 GT. 4.6 SOHC, puts down 298 to the rear wheels, 3:73 gears, Team Z tubular k-member, 5-speed, 2004 interior and Cobra brakes. I'm looking to use it as a donor car to swap into a 4 eye. From what I can find here, there won't be much left of my 96 when I'm done. I want do the whole nine yards

Jim

vettn71

So, for my second post, I basically want to make a 4eye 96, I guess. Looking at a couple cars, but they are both 3 hours from me, which is never good. Things almost always are not what is advertised. Mostly I want a straight body and no rust. Here in the Dallas area that shouldn't be that hard to find. Anything in particular I should look for? I know the torque boxes can be a problem. I really need to do my profile

TIA
Jim

Bill

Staff member
Donator
You are correct that there won't be much left of the 96 after you do a complete build. I recommend a sawsall and a recycle bin. You are on the right track with the Fox. If you can avoid rust and cars that have been crashed, the rest is just getting started and don't give up.

vettn71

I think I may go with an 85 GT convertible available locally. Nice body, interior is shot, but its all there. Is it correct that the 5.0 had a 7.5" rear? Can that rear accept an 8.8? It seems my 96 rear is too long (or I'd have to run 8" wheels), so what would my options be on this?

TIA
Jim

vettn71

I'm trying to sort through the wheel spacing for the rear end. I've got 10.5" Bulitts on my96 right now, which look good. I think I may have rubbing issues with those wheels and my 285/40/17s. Maybe if I went with a smaller tire? I have stock Bulitts on the front with 245/45/17s on the front.

From what I can decode, I should be okay using the sn95 rack, Fox tie rod ends and sn95 spindles. I've got cobra brakes up front, GT brakes on the rear. I'd also hate to go down to a 7.5 rear, which is why the sn95 rear is appealing (and the disc brakes)

What say ye?

TIA
Jim

vettn71

Well, not much going on the last question. It looks like I can use the sn95 rear by modifying the caliper mounting brackets. I still don't think I'll be able to run my 10.5s. I have two more 9" Bulitts, so that may have to do. It looks like getting the sn95 dash and door panels might be a pia, but I was hoping to go that route. Mostly it's getting the door panels and latches to fit right. I saw one post where a piece was cut out of the sn95 inside door to mount the sn95 door pull. How would that get lined up to work?

vettn71

I was also thinking about cutting my transmission tunnel from the parking brake forward to the dash mounts. Would that be easier than trying to line up the separate pieces?

Thanks
Jim

vettn71

I guess my questions have been too off-base? The car I'll be working on is an 83 vert, 5.0 GT, auto. Body good, interior not so good. Looks solid, though and no rusting that I can see. Photo in the welcome area. I do plan on a full sn95 changeover, including interior. I see LMR has 79-86 Moser 5-lug axles for $259. Would these work with running the Bulitt wheels I have? Would I have to modify the disc brake mounting brackets?

Thanks
Jim

cpearson1342

Well, not much going on the last question. It looks like I can use the sn95 rear by modifying the caliper mounting brackets. I still don't think I'll be able to run my 10.5s. I have two more 9" Bulitts, so that may have to do. It looks like getting the sn95 dash and door panels might be a pia, but I was hoping to go that route. Mostly it's getting the door panels and latches to fit right. I saw one post where a piece was cut out of the sn95 inside door to mount the sn95 door pull. How would that get lined up to work?

The rear end from a 5.0 fox should be an 8.8, as well as the rear out of a sn95, the difference is the width of the rear end. I have a rear out of a 2003 mach 1 and have to run 45mm offset rims to fit decently. You would only have to modify if you aren't doing abs with the rear, and need different parking brake cables. I have no idea on anything interior swap because I've never done one, but anything drivetrain wise I can help with. The sn95 rack should also work, but you will need to get a flaming river steering shaft, or make something like I did for mine.

vettn71

Cpearson1342,

Thanks for the info. Since mine is an 83 it is a 7.5. I think the offset on my 10.5a is -27, and it firs great on the 96. Who has experience doing the caliper mount mod? One member was saying it was not safe, but I'm not tracking the car, just will be a dd.

joshh

you can run the sn 8.8 as is with the 9" may be a little wide for ur taste though personally I'd throw it in and see how it looks first
As far as cutting the firewall just need to remove the support around the pedal assembly that has the steering shaft bearing and put it in the fox
Use the whole sn front suspension except for the lower control arms. As they are 3/4" wider also the drive shaft will need to be shortened 3/4"
As well as the rear of the kmember

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cpearson1342

I did't have any problem with needing the driveshaft shortened, since I moved the engine forward about that much for firewall clearance

vettn71

Thanks for the information, y'all. Looking over this 4-eye this evening I have all the stainless trim, but need a rear bumper cover. Locally there's an 84 being parted out, but he doesn't respond. Go figure. So, guess I'm on the hunt for one.

Jim