• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

PMAS slot in a 2.5" tube?

ndfastang

Hey guys. I'm trying to keep my car looking clean as well as functional. The intercooler has a 2.5" in and outlet. You can see, I already got most of my intake tube done and realized, I see the HPX and HPXE identify the ability to be used in 2-5" tube. I see that most are 3-3.5" and don't recommend no less than 2.75" tube diameter. This sucks. Am I fine with a 500-550 crank HP limit using one of the mentioned slot style meters in a 2.5" tube? Will I peg either or run out of range? You can see my setup below. I'd really like to use this and not have transition fittings all over like the one I already have on the throttle body.

Thanks
Dave

Bill

Staff member
Donator
That is likely a none-of-us have ever done it question. I do know that many tuners will tell you that a common mistake is going too big on the intake pipe, which slows the velocity of the air a bit. Having not done that exact thing, I would probably go with the 2.5 and see if the tuner can work a little magic on the dyno. You've already said you're not trying to squeeze the last drop of hp out of her. So, what's the worst thing that can happen?...it might run a bit fat until you get the tune down.

ndfastang

The problem is, I'll be doing the tuning with my heavy limited knowledge of tuning and lack of desire to do so. I went ahead and built another set of tubes out of 3" steel. I'm getting it powder coated and I can mig up the pipes and flanges myself without paying someone else to do it. I want the intake color to be what it all matches anyways. I've read that 3" is optimal and PMAS has good info on the charts on their site for the setup. Plus, I have room to grow. I know it's heavier but that's not an issue. I'm still only at 3070lbs at a 45/55 rear to front bias before the blower and with me in the car with 1/4 tank of gas. That is roughly going to change to 40/60 and at 3100 ish which are perfectly fine for street car manners. Going with the aluminum is not an issue. Steel will do fine and I had all the stuff here to do it with. Just had to order new boots. BOV is on the way too. I'll get it all together and installed and see how it does that way. I'm not looking for every hp but drivability is most important. Though, hitting a 600rwhp street driven 4 door is not a bad thing. Flexibility is a fringe benefit.

Thanks for the response. It was honest and considerate. Better than the usual, "take it to somebody and pay", or "do what I did" answer of today's hot rodders.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Sounds like a good plan and the powder coating will look nice under the hood. I agree that a 3100 pound four-door should have reasonable streetability. 600 rwhp will really be nice. With 600, even if you go up on the weight, you'll have plenty of street prowess.

ndfastang

It's all planning though. Hopefully I can decide on a color to paint soon enough and get the tuner so I can work with it and figure it out.

Thanks.