• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.4 in a Fox?

NightStalker

The biggest issue with the Lightning setup is engine/hood height, you could do a GT500 engine in it without needing a huge hood or having to cut a hole in the hood to fit it.

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Agreed. And the GT500 swap would probably be faster. It would be missing a bit of the WOW factor going down the road

NightStalker

Yeah but it would be lighter if you get the aluminum blocked one, be a good sleeper and better upgrades available

Bill

Staff member
Donator
Agreed. The biggest issue I have with the 5.4 for most swaps is they make the fox nose heavy

Bill

Staff member
Donator
I've done the BB swap. They handle like crap on the street.

dangerzone

I also have dropped a 5.4 DOHC (other than my FOX500), it was carb'd with a sully!! Ended up trading it on a 03 cobra before I got finished but I didn't run into any issues other than hood clearance. I had manual brakes to boot!!

Spdjunky

Nightstalker, is the cowl hood a must?
What is the lowest hood you have tried?
Are you using frame/k member spacers?

NCTroop

yduzygu7.jpg
6uteda5u.jpg

One of the baddest Fox's on the planet. Wish I would have taken better pics of the turbo setup.

NightStalker

It really depends on what intake setup you use and how you setup the whole car, I am hoping with my new intake I could get away from having to have a cowl hood so if I decided to do a sleeper look I could, I have 1/2" k-member spacers to help clear the brake booster... That notch back is super clean and runs very good, I think it's still stock GT500 8.5:1 compression... I hope to have my car running this spring.

Sub0ca

Great job guys I'm I'm middle of getting mine in soon, I have hydro boost but not sure if I need to remove sway bar mounts, just had finished smoothing bay don't wanna cut them. But hydro boost looks like it will be impossible to install

Bill

Staff member
Donator
The hydroboost really isn't that difficult to install. There are a number of threads on there that will give you step by step instructions and lots of good pics.

Sub0ca

I meant to install motor with booster off or on more of a clearance issue, some say best way to install motor form bottom and cut sway bar mounts, I guess I'll find out soon. Lol
More parts to purchase ..

Bill

Staff member
Donator
If it is going in from the top (the way I did my last one), fit the hydroboost first to make it a bolt on, then remove it to be out of the way for the engine. Then it is an easy reinstall. I plan to do my 4V (current project) from the bottom, mostly because I have a high ceiling in my garage now and have room to go up as needed. My last project was much fewer mods with a stock fox suspension and a factory sn95 kmember, so the fox swaybar was not a problem. I used Steeda relocation mounts and it fit fine.