• Hello there guest and Welcome to Modular Fox Mustangs home of the 2V, 3V, 4V, Coyote Modular Mustang Conversion Information Website!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My First 4.6 Fox Swap, any pointers?

MikeySmikey

Ok, here's the story: I've built several 302/351 fox bodies but never a modular swap so now I think it's time I do.

Here's what I have:
  • Car #1 is a 1988 GT, rust free, straight body, crap interior, stock worn out 5.0 and T-5 tranny. The car is solid and has never been in an accident (the front frame rails are perfect, so nice).
  • Car #2 is a 1998 GT (2V engine = booo) with 120k miles, 5 speed, nice black leather interior, bone stock and hit in the rear. The car got sideways and hit a brick mailbox, caving in the right rear quarter panel between the door and the rear wheel. Picked it up for $1500 and it runs and drives perfectly.

I followed the progress on another build and swapping from a late model mustang to a Fox seems pretty straight forward. All engine and dash wiring swaps over easily, dash fits with minor modifications, the K-Member bolts in after notching out the bolt holes, if I remember right the 98 already has the HydroBoost set up from the factory but I could be wrong, and the axle will bolt in but is slightly wider than a fox bodys.

My question is this: what are the PARTICULAR or SPECIFIC things I'll need to look for, swap, and/or purchase?

My goal is to have as much if not everything I need before I get started. Any help, tips, advice and freebies would be greatly appreciated. Once I get going on the swap I'll take a ton of pics and probably start a build thread.

Svt Fox

Staff member
What do you intend on doing with the car after its swapped? Are you going with the 2V or do you have a 4V lined up?

MikeySmikey

This is to get the base set, then locate and install a 32 valve cobra engine and 6 speed transmission. I found a wrecked 04 cobra that was hit in the rear but they $8500 which is over my budget. For the time being I'll drive the 2V until I was find a good deal on the 4V.

MikeySmikey

Ya know, not too long a buddy of mine told me where one was for $500 if I remember correctly. I'm assuming I'd have to get a different engine harness and ECM if I chose to get it right?

Svt Fox

Staff member
Ya know, not too long a buddy of mine told me where one was for $500 if I remember correctly. I'm assuming I'd have to get a different engine harness and ECM if I chose to get it right?

Nope you can use the harness and EEC out of the 98 GT. Keep in mind that the 98 cobra was a 4V. I am personally running a wiring harness and EEC out of a 96 GT.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Awesome. What about the flywheel since the mark viii is FWD?

Sent from my SGS2-SR with Tapatalk

The Mark viii is RWD, the Continental is FWD. :)

To answer your flywheel question though, I am running a 96 GT flywheel for my T-45. The Mark viii's have a 6-bolt flywheel whereas the 96-98 cobras and up (including 99-01 cobra's, Mach-1's-(manual only)and 03-04 Terminators) all have 8-bolt flywheels for the forged cranks.

MikeySmikey

The Mark viii is RWD, the Continental is FWD. :)

I stand corrected. :D

So the mark viii and the 98 GT share a common flywheel? If that's the case I won't need to purchase one. Since I do have a complete donor car what parts will I have to purchase to complete the swap? My wife has me on a pretty strict budget lol.

My plans are to swap the k-member, engine and trans, rear end, all of the interior and all related wiring. I know the stock 88 brake booster won't clear the wider 4.6 so that'll need changed.

MikeySmikey

Are there many things I'll have to buy new when I do the swap? Like I said before, I'd like to get most or all of the parts I need before I start so I can minimize down time.

Svt Fox

Staff member
Are there many things I'll have to buy new when I do the swap? Like I said before, I'd like to get most or all of the parts I need before I start so I can minimize down time.

I can only speak to the engine and transmission swap itself. I am still using the stock gauge cluster and rear end.

It really depends on what you want. You have 99% of the parts that you'll need from the donor car.

If you have the equipment and patience, I would drop the engine, k-member, front suspension, and transmission all in one shot. I would complete the hydroboost swap and then reinstall everything you just pulled from the donor car into the fox body. You will need to fab/modify the crossmember in order to bolt up the T-45.

You will need some new stuff, but won't know until you start tearing the car(s) apart. The new stuff that you'll need maybe limited to replacing factory stuff. For instance, you get the engine out and realize the your engine mounts look rough/cracked/worn out...etc..

MikeySmikey

That's what I was hoping. I plan on doing exactly what you said with the engine/trans/k-member. It's just easier that way. I'm gonna fab up a tubular cross member for the trans. Thanks a lot man. Don't be surprised if you're my go-to guy when I get started lol

Svt Fox

Staff member
That's what I was hoping. I plan on doing exactly what you said with the engine/trans/k-member. It's just easier that way. I'm gonna fab up a tubular cross member for the trans. Thanks a lot man. Don't be surprised if you're my go-to guy when I get started lol

No problem! That's what we're here for! There are a few qualified guys here able to answer your questions! I just happened to answer them before they did.

This website is a good group of enthusiasts, that are a well of knowledge. We might not all agree on everything, all the time however, there is a mutual respect and admiration for accomplishing these swaps amongst each other.

MikeySmikey

I've noticed there seems to be a good group of people here. I'm a member of another forum and there's a lot of not-so-nice people over there.

Speedtospare

I picked up a low miles Aviator motor and swapped to a mach 1 intake. Total cost was 1550.00 for the engine. Car made 302 WHP and 302 TQ though stock manifolds. There a cheap alternative that much better than the Lincoln motor. You get the same heads as the 04-04 cobra. Nothing wrong with B head (96-98) Swaps, or even 99-01 in a fox.

Svt Fox

Staff member
I picked up a low miles Aviator motor and swapped to a mach 1 intake. Total cost was 1550.00 for the engine. Car made 302 WHP and 302 TQ though stock manifolds. They're another alternative to the Lincoln engine. You get the same style C-heads as the 03-04 Cobra.

Edited for correctness :)

MikeySmikey

Ok vets, I have a question. So I have the 98 GT parts car lined up for $1500 as I've mentioned, but I have the chance to buy a complete 94 Mark 8 for $1200. My question is has anyone ever swapped the Lincoln dash into a fox body like you can the Mustang? If that swap can be done I may just go that route instead. Is the k-member the same or will I need the mustangs? And, will the rear axle bolt into the 88 Fox like the 98's will?

Svt Fox

Staff member
Ok vets, I have a question. So I have the 98 GT parts car lined up for $1500 as I've mentioned, but I have the chance to buy a complete 94 Mark 8 for $1200. My question is has anyone ever swapped the Lincoln dash into a fox body like you can the Mustang? If that swap can be done I may just go that route instead. Is the k-member the same or will I need the mustangs? And, will the rear axle bolt into the 88 Fox like the 98's will?

Before I can answer your question, I need a little more information.

Why do you want to swap out the stock fox dash?